CMI Congregation | CMI Devamatha Province | Former Provincial Curia | Catholic Church at Thrissur | History of Thrissur

Home>>History>>Catholic Church at Thrissur

St. Thomas the Apostle according to the Indian tradition landed at Kodungalloor (Cranganore), the capital of the Chera Empire in the year 52 A.D. Persians, Greeks and Romans found Kodungalloor an important centre for their trade.

St. Thomas preached the Gospel wherever he went and founded Churches. The apostolate of St. Thomas was fruitful among the people of Kerala. According to Malabar tradition seven Christian communities were formed in seven different places before he was martyred in 72 A.D. His body was brought to Mylapore and was buried in holy shrine.

From the 4th century, St. Thomas Christians established relationships with the Church of Persia. Bishops who came to India from that Church also had their residence at Kodungalloor while they held the title of the “Metropolitan and gate of all India”. The ‘Metropolitan’ changed his residence from Kodungalloor to Angamaly in the sixteenth century due to certain political reasons. After the death of Mar Abraham in 1577, St. Thomas Christians were subjected to the Latin bishop from 1699 and continued to be so until 1887.

H. H. Pope Leo XIII of illustrious memory, by the epoch-making Bull “Quod Jampridem” of May 20, 1887, separated the Syrian Catholics of Malabar from the jurisdiction of the Padroado as well as the Vicariate of Verapoly and erected for them Apostolic Vicariates of Thrissur and Kottayam. The Vicariate of Thrissur had within its territory Kodungalloor and Palayur, the cradles of Christianity in India. Msgr. Adolph Edwin Medlycott was the first Vicar Apostolic of Trichur.

Nine years later, by the Brief “Quae Rei Sacrae” of July 28, 1896, the same Holy Father reorganized the two Vicariates into three: Thrissur, Ernakulam and Changanacherry – with Indians of the Syro-Malabar Church, as their Vicars Apostolic. Mar John Menacherry became the first native Vicar Apostolic of Thrissur.

The rapid and remarkable progress that the Syrian Catholics made under the Indian bishops in the course of a few years was highly appreciated by the Apostolic and as a result, on December 21, 1923 by the bull “Romani Pontifices” of Pope Pius XI, the Syro-Malabar Hierarchy was established, raising Ernakulam to the status of a Metropolitan See and having Thrissur, Changanacherry and Kottayam as its suffragan eparchies. Mar Francis Vazhappilly was the Bishop of Thrissur.

In 1887 the Vicariate of Trichur was bounded on the east by the Western Ghats, on the south by the Periyar (Aluva), on the west by the Arabian Sea and on the north by the river Bharathapuzha. When by “Quae Rei Sacrae” of July 28, 1896 the three Syrian Vicariates were erected, the river Chalakudy was made the southern boundary of Thrissur Vicariate.

Pope Pius XII, by the Bull “Saepe Fidelis” of April 29, 1955 extended the jurisdiction of Thrissur Bishop to the whole of the Diocese of Coimbatore. On June 20, 1974 Pope Paul VI by the “Apostolico Requirente” divided the Eparchy of Thrissur, erecting the Eparchy of Palakkad which consisted of civil districts of Palakkad and Coimbatore. Again on June 22, 1978 Pope Paul VI separated the entire taluk of Kodungalloor, greater part of Mukundapuram and small portions of Paravur and Aluva to the north of the river Chalakudy, from the Eparchy of Thrissur and erected the Eparchy of Irinjalakuda by the Apostolic Bull “Trichuriensis Eparchiae”.

Pope John Paul II inaugurated the centenary celebrations of the Eparchy of Trichur on February 7, 1986 at St. Thomas Nagar, Thrissur, in the presence of about one million people. On May 20, 1987 centenary day was celebrated. The concluding functions on August 9 1987 were presided over by Simon Cardinal Lourdusamy, Prefect of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches. The eparchial renewal project "Evangelisation Decade" was inaugurated on 30 December, 1990. After the erection of Syro-Malabar Major Archepiscopate the eparchy of Thrissur is in the fore-front for the renewal of the Church.

The long awaited expectation of the faithful of Thrissur Eparchy was fulfilled on May 18 1995 when the Pope John Paul II raised the eparchy to the Metropolitan status, eparchies of Irinjalakuda and Palakkad being its suffragans and Bishop Mar Joseph Kundukulam as its first Metropolitan Archbishop.

The present Archeparchy of Thrissur has the following boundaries: north- Bharathapuzha in Malapuram District, and Trichur-Palakkad district boundary; west - Arabian Sea; east - Thrissur district boundary: south-southern boundary of Valappad and Karuvannur, Karanchira, Kurumaly, Mupliyam River.